Traveller’s diarrhoea (TD) can be very unpleasant and ruin a holiday or business trip. It is estimated that as many as 60% of all travellers will experience a bout of TD when they travel overseas. Many illnesses such as Hepatitis A, Typhoid and Cholera are spread through eating and drinking contaminated food and water. Thankfully, there are vaccinations that can offer some protection against these illnesses. However, many other bacterial infections such as E.Coli and parasites such as Giardia cannot be vaccinated against. It is extremely important to follow strict food and water hygiene to avoid infection.
Advice for Travellers
- Drink bottled water. Beware of fake bottled water- in many countries seals have been tampered with and the bottle actually contains unsafe tap water.
- Avoid ice in your drinks, unless you are sure it has come from a safe supply of water.
- Don’t clean your teeth with tap water- use bottled or boiled water.
- Boiled water is safe to drink- bringing water to the boil and boiling for 1 minute is enough to purify it.
- Use chlorine tablets or a water filter if you haven’t got access to clean drinking water.
- Avoid salads that may have been washed in unsafe water.
- Avoid raw fruit and vegetables- these are ok if you can peel them.
- Avoid buffet food that may have been left out for a number of hours or been exposed to flies.
- Avoid unpasteurised dairy products such as milk, yogurt and cheese.
- Always wash your hands well before you eat and if you don’t have access to washing facilities carry an alcohol hand gel.
- Avoid street food, unless it is cooked freshly in front of you.
- Don’t assume food served in a 5* hotel will be safe- staff may not have practiced strict food. Water and personal hygiene.
Bimuno is a pre- biotic powder or pastille that can keep your tummy healthy on a trip abroad. Clinical studies have shown it to be effective in reducing your risk of TD. It works by sustaining a healthy level of good bacteria in the gut, helping to prevent bad bacteria from becoming established.
Ask your nurse about water purification products – Bimuno, Chlorine Tablets and Water Filters or purchase online in our shop.